I’ve never really purchased a lot of eggplant as I could never use the whole thing before it went bad. This week, I am trying to make meals out of whats in the cupboard and the fridge, rather than doing any grocery shopping. Here is an amazing lunch recipe that I made out of eggplant. Note, I have listed the ingredients, but you can always swap them out for similar flavours (salty, cheesy, sweet).
You will need:
- 1/2 of a large eggplant (you could also do this with zucchini)
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli
- 2 tsp of chicken style or vegetable stock
- 300 grams of pasta, rice or noodles
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- First, chop your eggplant into slightly larger than bite sized pieces (they will shrink when you cook them). Then, pour your salt over the eggplant and leave to sit for 15 minutes.
- Next, you want to drain any water that comes off the eggplant and pat it down with a dry cloth. Once dry, coat in the flour until all covered.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the water, Worcestershire, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, sweet chilli and water into a bowl and mix well.
- Next, heat a pan with some oil, any kind of oil you have. Once hot, put the flour coated eggplant in the pan and fry until softened. Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, separately cook your pasta, rice or noodles to their regular instructions.
- To the eggplant mix, add the liquid mixture, and simmer until it becomes a slightly runny sauce consistency. We are going to add the noodles or rice to this pan, so we don’t want the sauce too thick. You can add more water if it gets too thick.
- Add in your noodles or rice to the dish and mix until combined. and there you have it, a delicious, eggplant dish for your lunch!
- Optional: If you have them, poppy seeds or sesame seeds would make a nice addition to this meal.
What is the best new recipe you have discovered from trying yo use what you have? I would love to hear about it in the comments below! If you love recipes like this, don’t forget to sign up below to get notifications when new blogs are posted!