The reality is, there aren’t many of us who were born into beautiful Zero Waste families who have never used plastic in their lives. Most of us have some plastic, single-use items lying around our home that we don’t know what to do with. Well, here are 5 things you should do with single-use plastic you already own!
- Give it to a friend or family member – If you have a friend or family member who uses these items, then by giving the item to them, you postpone their need to purchase more, and therefore, you reduce the depletion of resources. However, just make sure it is an item they actually want!
- If that is not appropriate, or it is not an item that someone in your direct network would want, is it something that you could give to an extended network? Could you sell the item online, or could you give the item away in a local Facebook group or another online or local community?
- If you cannot find a way to give away the item, is it something that a charity want. Often donating to charity is the first thing that people think about, but often, items that are donated to charity end up in the landfill due to oversupply, so I try to avoid it where possible. Often, I even call charity shops before I donate, in order to make sure it is an item they can and will try to resell.
- In the case that none of the above work, what I then choose to do is use it. I use it until it is in a state where it cannot be used anymore. Wear it out, repair it, and wear it out again. Get as much use out of it as possible!
- And then, after you use it, dispose of the item in the best possible way. if you can, recycle it. In some cases, you might need to separate elements of the item in order to dispose of it effectively.
Note – Also, note that you should never return items that you have already purchased. You can almost guarantee that this will end up in the landfill.
If you have any other tips or tricks to using up your single-use plastic – I would love to hear them. Leave a comment below, or tag Minimize The Waste on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to subscribe to get notifications when I post a new blog!